Monday, November 26, 2012

Here Goes Nothing

Chemotherapy starts in about 36 hours (Wednesday morning 9 am).  To be honest....I am pretty nervous....I don't know what to expect.  I like to think of myself as a superwoman who can handle anything, but there are SO MANY possible side effects it is pretty overwhelming when I allow myself to ponder on it.
I will be receiving chemotherapy every other week for the next 16 weeks.  I should hopefully finish a little after my 42nd birthday in March.  I am on a regiment called AC followed by T (Adriamycin & Cyclophosphamide followed by Paclitaxel..taxel for short).  The first 4 injections will be AC and then the last 4 injections will be taxel.  Both treatments have some pretty nasty possible side effects.  Since I don't have to worry about taxel for awhile I am going to talk about AC.
Here are the SERIOUS possible side effects of AC:
- cause birth defects &/or infertility (this is no problem - no more babies for me was already the forced on me plan...thank you cancer #1)
- 1/1000 chance of getting leukemia (even years later)
- lowers my blood cell count - I can bleed/bruise or get infections more easily - stay away from sick people (flu season - might have to be a homebody), brush & floss gently......etc  He also had me stop taking my medication Gleevec.  Gleevec is the drug that keeps my GIST from coming back, BUT it also lowers my blood count so he wants me to quit taking it.
- allergic reaction
- blistering, peeling, red skin rash
- blood in my urine or stools, painful urination; bloody or black, tarry stools
- fever, chills, cough, sore throat, dry mouth, hot & dry skin, dizziness, confusion, extreme thirst
- NAUSEA, vomiting, loss of appetite, pain in upper stomach (she said this is the most common side effect, but they have lots of medications to try to help with this)
- fatigue, fast or uneven heartbeat
- rapid weight gain or swelling of hands, ankles, or feet
- Adriamycin most likely will cause your urine to turn red for 1 to 2 days
- seizures
- shortness of breath, cold sweat, bluish-colored skin 
- unusual bleeding, bruising, or weakness
- yellow eyes or skin
Here are the LESS serious side effects:
- I will stop menstruating during treatment, possibly FOREVER (this is FANTASTIC!!....always a bright side)
- I will FOR SURE lose my hair (ALL OF IT - EVERYWHERE....STOP... think about it...yup - never thought of that before)  .....changes in the color of my skin or nails.  I have been told that OFTEN the leg hair & arm pit hair take their sweet time coming back....this also sounds fantastic!!!  No shaving for awhile....Whoo-Hoo!!  I will lose my hair sometime during the week of December 9th.  Just in time to look extra pretty for Christmas.
- sores or white patches in my mouth, lips or throat
-  weakness or tiredness

I am trying to be optimistic and hope that I am spared some of these side effects. But, when I read that list some of them a pretty scary.  The PA told me I for sure will be tired & most likely nauseous.  The rest of them we will wait and see.
Please continue to pray & send good vibes to me & my family.  They are needed and I have felt their power already.  I still can't believe all the loving things people have said & done for me & my family.  It is AWESOME!!!!!

Love,
The One Boob Wonder
Just keep on L-I-V-I-N

3 comments:

  1. Remember, they always give you the worst case senerio. Most of the side effects won't be anywhere near that bad and the medicine they have really does help with nausea. You will do fine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are going to rock Chemo. And maybe even be a cute baldie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cancer picked the wrong person to tangle with! Before chemo, my sister-in-law had a party and shaved her hair into a mohawk and dyed it purple. If you've ever wanted to do something wild, now's the time! It was a fun way to approach things. She did great and so will you!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment!