Saturday, June 18, 2016

THIS IS IT

I got my test results yesterday.  I was going to post yesterday, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it.   So here it is.  I just can't bear to leave anyone in suspense for one more minute.

The results were as bad as they could get...pretty much.  I could give you lots and lots of details (and I probably will over the next few days), but I think these two pictures sum it up better than anything and might be as much as I can emotionally give at this moment.

APRIL 2016                                                         JUNE 2016











         





All the dark spots are METS (tumors).  The darker the spot the more intense the tumor.  You can ignore the brain, bladder, and kidneys (they will show up as black spots no matter what).

The cancer has grown so rapidly and there are so many HUGE tumors that let's just say the end is near.  Look at the GINORMOUS tumor at the base of my skull.  2 days after I had a surgical procedure on my heart - an SVT ablation (June 4th) my chin went numb and has stayed numb.  This is why my doctor also ordered a brain MRI.  She thinks that tumor at the base of my skull caused the numbness.  I guess one piece of good news is the cancer has NOT spread to my brain yet.  At least I have that!  This is where it likes to go after it has invaded your liver and lungs.  As you can see my liver is more tumor than liver.  Looking at these scans does help my understand some of the ridiculous pain I have been in the past month or two.  I get such bad pain in my arms and legs sometimes that all I can do is cry & wail & moan so loud I am positive the neighbors can hear me and think someone is beating me.  Recently even my liver area and rib area have become crazy painful - I could go on and on and on so basically.......my whole entire body hurts.   I am officially invaded.  We had to up my pain dosage again.  I am on a 50 mcg/hr. of Fentanyl. Just a few months ago I was on 12mcg of Fentanyl.

Friday was basically my last appointment with my oncologist unless I change my mind about treatment.  The cancer is so advanced and my body so weakened that there is not much she can do.  All it took was one look at that scan and I knew this was my wakeup call to worry about my comfort and not treatment.  She did not give me a set amount of time I have left, but in order to qualify for hospice she has to say it is 6 months or less.  I didn't ask her.  I guess I didn't want to know.  But, she was for the option of no more treatment.  She said there wasn't one that she thought would work.

I am not dealing with the emotional side of this very well.  I have made some big goals about how I am going to live what little life I have left, but I just can't adequeately articulate that quite yet.
I got up this morning and took a little trip to Krispie Kreme with Berkeley and to a groovy used book store to get some Father's Day presents.  Yes, I drove myself.  Hooray for me.  Then the hospice lady came this morning and finished setting up care for me.  I don't need much from them yet, but we are ready to go for when that time comes.  She also brought me a wheelchair.  I want to be able to get out of the house and live as normally as possible for as long as possible so I NEED the wheelchair.  She brought this tiny, skinny wheelchair for me....totally funny.  She looked at my weight and obviously not my height and figured I was pretty petite. HILARIOUS!!!!!  This kinda let you know though how skinny I am (too skinny).  I can't walk very far or exert myself too much without a lot of pain. After the hospice lady left I made everyone get ready and go on an outing with me.  It was fun.  Went to a little small town Historical Day celebration and ate a bunch of yummy food truck yummies and then went and watched some cool Native American performances.  I tried really hard to choose happy and enjoy my family and not get grumpy.  I think I deserve an A+++ considering especially I did not sleep one wink last night.

Anyways, this is the news, this is it.  Time to deal.

Peace out,

Gina the Awesome (I really need a new nickname)









19 comments:

  1. I have been checking your page every 10 minutes. Looking at those results---I can't believe you are still moving about! You are amazing and I respect you and your family and your "journey" through this terrible thing called Cancer! Much love and peace to you and your sweet family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gina I am so sorry to hear this. I know there's probably nothing I can say to help, but I guess I do want you to know that I always liked and looked up to you during my growing up years in AZ. Much love and prayers to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have endured this journey with such a positive attitude, and you have an amazing drive for life, and I commend you for that. Your beautiful smile graces my pages and I am glad to see you still smiling. You will continue to be in my thoughts and prayers! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you are getting extra help. Those nurses really know their stuff and medications and equipment magically appear. The lightweight companion chair is perfect for going places. Jim had one for a while. Your kids can even get it in and out of the car and push it. This isn't in anyway what we all hoped for you nor do we understand. But we trust and continue to pray for your peace and comfort. The Lord is looking out for you and yours. Be at peace with that. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It all sucks - except how you took kids out to do something fun. That was extraordinary. The rest of it is pretty crappy, and I'm so sorry you have to go through this. I have a high opinion of hospice folks, they seem to know what you need before you need it. (Gentle hug)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are so SO loved! You are such an inspiration! Thank you for sharing the good, bad and the ugly! Thank you for mentioning that you chose happy despite the circumstances. I so often forget to do that myself! You have conquered so much and will continue to in the days ahead! We are praying for you and your amazing family!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so SO loved! You are such an inspiration! Thank you for sharing the good, bad and the ugly! Thank you for mentioning that you chose happy despite the circumstances. I so often forget to do that myself! You have conquered so much and will continue to in the days ahead! We are praying for you and your amazing family!

    ReplyDelete
  8. There are some choice words I am thinking but I'll let you guess them. I think I'm going to watch Horseland tomorrow (I never did see the first 3-4 seasons) to keep you in my thoughts all day. Love, Lance

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are a frikkin rockstar Gina....I have admired your tenancity in the fight and your willingness to share with brute frankness about the journey you are enduring. Sending much love to you and your family....Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  10. You deserve an A +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++!!
    You are an incredible woman who is stronger than anyone I know or have seen in my line of work. Thank you for sharing your crappy news with us... Yet another example of your strength. You are loved by all of us!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I want you to know that I've been running for you. When I run I think about you and how you would give anything for a healthy body that can, among many other things, run and not be weary. I feel a deep, humble gratitude for my earthly vessel and promise to treat it well, love it, and appreciate the gift that it is - all in your honor. Thank you for this gift of perspective and respect. I love you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I to have been checking all day with prayers in my heart for you and your sweet family. I can't imagine the pain you must be feeling. You're the strongest bravest person I know. Thank you for allowing us to hear of your journey and to let us in. You deserve more than an A for effort. Your sweet babies will have beautiful memories always. The Hilke's love you and your beautiful family. I pray you can endure the pain. Hospice is such a wonderful help. I'm glad they are there to help. You are a shining example of strength and courage. Gina the brave. ❤ 💪❤

    ReplyDelete
  13. I to have been checking all day with prayers in my heart for you and your sweet family. I can't imagine the pain you must be feeling. You're the strongest bravest person I know. Thank you for allowing us to hear of your journey and to let us in. You deserve more than an A for effort. Your sweet babies will have beautiful memories always. The Hilke's love you and your beautiful family. I pray you can endure the pain. Hospice is such a wonderful help. I'm glad they are there to help. You are a shining example of strength and courage. Gina the brave. ❤ 💪❤

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gina you really are amazing. You really are awesome. I have followed your attorney and have been in aw at your great attitude about your journey and how you have put your family first. I am truly sad to hear this is the outcome but I know you have given your children so much Love that they will carry that for the rest of their lives. You have changed many peoples lives, mine personally. I want you to know that I really think you are a hero and an inspiration to many around you. Lots of love and enjoy your family.

    ReplyDelete
  15. We love you so much Gina. I am so sorry for the news you received. You and your family are continually in our prayers. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are so brave and inspiring. I hope can reach your goals. You are in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You will always be Gina the Awesome to me. Your courage, spirit, and your wonderful sense of humor are an inspiration to everyone. God bless you and your beautiful family.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm amazed to read how you are able to enjoy life and spend time with loved ones. That's really priceless. I have a lot of regret for not having had that time with Michelle. I don't think you need a new nickname. It truly fits you.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment!