Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Bald Beauty

A few days after dose #2 of poison...oops I mean medicine to kill cancer my hair started falling out EVERYWHERE.  If I pulled on my hair it would fall out in clumps.  I knew it was coming, but it was so WEIRD.  I would be laying around and hair would fly in my eyes or mouth.  I would wake up from a nap and my pillow would be coated in hair - SO GROSS.  
So I decided it was time to shave it all off.  I called up my fabulous friend Shannon & she came on over to buzz it all off.  So here are some pictures of our fun Monday night (December 17th).





 scary Gina

don't mess with me!!!

I decided to include the kids in the fun.  I figured it would be much less scary for them to watch it happen than to wake up in the morning with a bald mamma.  They thought it was fun.  Lots of giggling.  Carlie kept saying people were going to make fun of us.  She also told me I looked like a boy.  Berkeley kept staring at me and telling me I was bald & had no hair.
SILLY KIDS.....we look AMAZING :)
 My sweet husband decided to shave his head too.



 Here we are.
  I would like to point out that I was feeling super crappy that day.
 I had NO makeup on and I was wearing my pajamas.

 not an Aldridge family photo without silly faces.


A few days later when I was feeling better I put some makeup on and snapped a few photos.



I have not shed one single tear about my hair.  I really don't even feel sad about it.  It is just hair.  It will grow back.  I don't look great, but I don't look too bad for a bald cancer patient.    It is crazy how cold my head gets without hair.  I wear a hat most of the time to keep my head warm.  I also got a beautiful wig.   But, I also sport the bald head around the house a lot and in public.  I am not self-conscious about it at all.  I get some double takes, but I am used to that being an extra tall and gorgeous woman (he..he..he..)

18 comments:

  1. Gina,

    You look beautiful! Bald head and all. I love your great spirit and attitude about this challenge that you are going through. Good Luck with everything. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!!! I searched on your profile and can't figure out who "KAZ" is....please help me out :)

      Delete
  2. You may have felt crappy w/o make-up and been in your PJs, but the house looked GREAT decorated for Christmas!! : ) My Adah still remembers to pray for "Sister Aldridge's cancer to go away," in all our family prayers. Do you need more hats or scarves, or are people taking care of you there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!!! My home was actually clean that day!! Tell Adah she is AWESOME...I still am overwhelmed with how many people are praying for me. I have lots of scarfs, but I want more hats :)

      Delete
  3. Looking good! I love that you don't care about your hair. Your smile is so gorgeous with or without it! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks. I was kinda surprised - maybe I just really psyched myself up for it :)

      Delete
  4. You are super awesome Gina, you have always been such an inspiration to everyone around you. Students talk about you all the time, your former co workers still love you to pieces, I don't know a single person that doesn't have your back in all of this cancer mess. You are sharing a gift with all of us by sharing your journey with such spirit and grace. I check everyday to see how you are, and though I haven't found the "right" words, I am totally here for you in any way you may need.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment made my day...oh heck my month. Totally teared up. I miss my TDWHS peeps SO MUCH!! I miss teaching SO MUCH! Thanks for having my back. I have always looked up to you because of your positive attitude, love for our students, & what an amazing mother you are.

      Delete
  5. Wish I looked that good when I was bald. I just ended up looking like my dad! Not a good look for a woman. You look marvelous, love you lots and keeping you in our prayers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I bet you didn't look bad!! I look in the mirror often and think I look like my dad too :) Thanks for the prayers!

      Delete
  6. You are such an inspiration. I just love your attitude! And you have a great head! Looking good, Gina! -Kryss

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Kryss...I am trying to keep a good attitude.

      Delete
  7. I love the look. The one boobed, bald beauty! Thanks for cheering me up with your smiles and silly faces. What an amazing family you are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. he...he....1BBB - another great nickname!!!

      Delete
  8. Now that is one Hot Toothpick if I've ever seen one! :) And being one myself, I know hot when I see it (HA!). Gina, my Jolley Green Giant friend, you were always amazing, but it is so inspiring to see the mother, wife and woman you have grown into. Nothing has ever stopped you before, I don't know why cancer thought it had a chance (shouldn't it have learned the first time!?!). So glad to have you back in my world. Hugs and prayers for you and all the AMAZING Aldridges! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my long lost fellow hot toothpick!!!!!!!!!! We are hot! Thanks for this note. It made me SUPER happy to hear from you. Thanks for the prayers & hugs. I have such amazing memories of my BFF from AZ :)

      Delete

Please leave a comment!