Thursday, September 18, 2008

Back to Work

I guess it is time for an update on my recovery. Well people, I went back to work this week part-time and it is kicking my butt!!!!!! I can't believe how every muscle in my body just ACHES! I had weaned myself off the pain meds, but now I am back on. All of my morning classes are super awesome and my afternoon classes are psycho.
I saw my new cancer doctor on Tuesday and things went well. They ran some tests (no results yet) and we talked about my treatment. I am going to be taking a drug called Gleevac. Apparently it is crazy expensive so my doctor was going to make some phone calls to get the best deal possible for me. Once I start the drug they are going to monitor me at least once a week for a couple of months. One of the major side effect is edema (YEAH - I get to be all puffy). After the side effect calm down and there is no sign of the cancer then I will be seen once a month for the first year.
This drug is supposed to cut the rate of the GIST reoccuring down to 3%. Those are some pretty good odds. The drug is supposed to be the most effective on high-risk GIST patients - THAT"S ME!!! I guess when your tumor is as ginormous as mine you are automatically considered high-risk.
Well, that's about it - just waiting on test results and the doctor getting the Gleevac in stock.

4 comments:

  1. I would have to agree 100% about the psycho afternoon classes. Yesterday was so incredibly nice to know I wasn't having to deal with them and today will be just as good. See you soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you are doing better - what did your doctor say about getting on your insurance? Good luck and don't overdo it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is so great to have you back and doing good. There is something to be said for the power of prayer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. back to work? that is no fun at all. Hope you are taking it easy! Make the kids do stuff for you... that's what they are there for! :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment!