Sunday, December 14, 2008

YWIE 2008




I am the YW President in my ward (this is a youth group leader for all the girls ages 12-18 for those of you who are not up on mormon lingo) This year for our Young Women in Excellence program we had the Emma Awards. Every girl received a golden Emma award (gold spray painted Mrs. Butterworths). We ran it like the Oscars. We had categories and nominees. I was the announcer (due to my cheesy announcing voice and dramatic flair) and I would read the fake celebrity nominees with one of our young women's names and then of course the young woman would win. For example, Shasta (one of my YW) was up for an award in Excellence in Duet Singing, she was up against Celine Dion and Michael Bolton, of course Shasta won. Then she would come up and get her award (we had two primary girls (my counselors kids) dressed up to pass out the golden emmas. The yw would then perform their talent they recieved the award for or they would give a talk on what they did for a yw personal progress project. It was so awesome! My girls are so talented. We also had a movie premeire. We viewed a video I made of pictures from all the activities we had done since last YWIE (this takes FOREVER TO MAKE). I used a program called Show Biz that allows you to make a very professional video. A few weeks before the program we had a photo shoot for the girls for mutual. They showed up looking their best and we took beautiful pictures of each girl individually and as a group. We then blew up the best photos and backed them on foam board and each girl got a pic of themselves and 2 group photos. All the girls also got crowned with a tiara and a feather boa. I forgot to take pics until the end, so the decorations don't look as great as they did before we started, but oh well. It was such a wonderful night. My YW are so extremely beautiful inside and out and I love them with all my heart! I also have a wonderful presidency that worked super hard to pull this night off!



Here is the refreshment table after it got demolished. We made cake balls in all the YW value colors. They looked super cool and they were YUMMY!

Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

  1. That looks like so much fun! What a great activity. We're in the midst of planning New Beginnings right now - it is so much work, but definitely worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a cute idea, I will have to remember that one for next year. So clever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boy, do I miss my YW leader! :) I think every young womens need a YW president just like Gina! Haha! I'm sure your girls love you! BTW I'm gonna still your idea...

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment!