Sunday, June 3, 2012

Trying out this Gardening Thing...

 A few months ago on pinterest I saw a picture of a garden where the garden boxes were painted pink.....Oh MAN - I decided then and there that I needed some colorful garden boxes.  So I painted twelve- 8 foot 2x6 boards in a bright purple and lime green.  Then my hubby built me this garden boxes.  This past weekend I finally got around to starting up my garden.  I decided my concrete sequential science/math mind wanted to try out square foot gardening after my sister Michelle suggested it.  So here is a step-by-step pictorial of my day of setting up my garden.
filled them up with soil our neighbor didn't want


mixed in some compost (ignore the dead grass and weeds in the background.  The day before I killed all the grass and weeds so we can till the yard up and plant some grass soon.

 industrial staple gun, scissors, string, & a ruler were my friends
 one down..one to go...

 time to plant
 figuring out the best arrangement - used an old gate (that my husband acquired after doing yard work as a service project) as a trellis for the snap peas and cucumbers)

All planted and ready to GROW (hopefully).  I am a total NOVICE!!! 
So this year is going to be an experiment.  Wish me luck!!  I planted tomatoes (early girl, grape, Roma), lettuce (baby leaf, gourmet blend, butter crunch, giant Cesar), radishes, strawberries, jalapenos, zucchini, basil, oregano, parsley, cucumbers, snap peas, green beans, radishes, squash, carrots, cilantro, broccoli, red onions, & cantaloupe.

Planted some pumpkins and watermelons in a deserted part of the yard too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment!