Saturday, March 23, 2013

Here Comes the Sun


One of my favorite songs and quite appropriate......
     I am starting to come out of my chemo fog and slowly feeling better.  I can actually see the light at the end of the tunnel.  I just had my last chemotherapy treatment on March 6th.  I went back on March 12th for a check-up with my oncologist.  He talked with me for a LONG time about all the things we need to do: hormone treatment (complicated because of my PE and being on blood thinners), taking my ovaries out, getting another echo cardiogram - PET scan - CT scan, possibly changing from lovenox to coumadin, what to do about Gleevec (drug for my previous cancer), etc....etc......  He gave me so much information it was overwhelming.  It also didn't help that I felt AWFUL that day and was having pretty bad bone pain.  He was so excited for me to be done with chemo that he gave me a few hugs.  I really love my oncologist....he is a great guy.  He told me that I didn't need to worry about any of it now.  He was going to give me a big break to work on recovering and we would make decisions later.  I do not have another appointment with him until after my kids spring break...almost a month break......HOORAY!!!
     Some other things to celebrate:
          - I have a consultation appointment with a plastic surgeon to discuss my reconstruction options on April 22nd - I CAN'T WAIT!!!
         -  I got my results from my BRAC Analysis Rearrangement Test.  I do NOT have the breast cancer genes (BRCA1 or BCRA2).  This means that no deletion of duplication was detected in these genes.  If there was one detected that means I would be far more likely to get breast cancer or ovarian cancer than the general public.  WONDERFUL NEWS!!
          - I have started going on VERY SHORT walks at night with my hubby after the kids have gone to bed.  They are really exhausting and painful....but I am making progress.  The first night I walked to the end of the street and back (0.3 miles - I know that is sad).  Now I am walking around the block (0.65 miles).  Got to start somewhere.....
          - The bone pain is getting better and I have a little more energy each day.  I even had enough energy to de-junk my house a little, put away my St. Patty's decorations, and get out my Easter decorations.  Considering I literally have done NO housework in 5 months, this was a major accomplishment.
          - I have had great sleep the past three nights
          - I got my port out yesterday!!!!!!!!!!!  It is a little sore, but I am so excited.  It was a wonderful thing to have for chemotherapy, but oh man did it annoy me.  I couldn't sleep on my left side and it was uncomfortable.
 Here is a close-up of what my port looked liked.....kinda crazy.  If you think it is too much information or gross just be happy I haven't posted a picture of my mastectomy scar :)
 This picture looks like my back, but it is my left front side and I kept it PG

 Here is my port.  My doctor let me keep it - how AWESOME is that.  He made me promise I would soak it in bleach because it is a biohazard....still has my blood and fluids inside of it.  The nerdy science teacher in me is SO HAPPY.   I am going to put it in a jar and proudly display it on my desk when I go back to teaching.  I think it is crazy that that thing was inside of me.

 Here is to more good news and continued recovery.  I have a long ways to go, but one of the toughest parts is behind me.

Love,
The 1BW

5 comments:

  1. WOW! Just read all your posts. I'm so happy for you and your being done with the Chemo part! That port thing is amazing! Is there a scar from inserting it? I can't figure out how they go it in! Was the tube inside you too? Amazing. Great job Gina!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am lazy so I copied and pasted this description from a old blog post. But, yes the whole thing was inside of me. The black part was like a pin cushion. They would numb my skin right about the port and then insert a special needle thingy into the port to draw blood or to put the medicine/poison into me. It is really cool.
      "During insertion, a small round metal or plastic disc is placed under your skin through about an inch long incision.

      My port is on my left side - upper chest - above the clavicle. The port is then attached to a catheter tube that is threaded into one of the large veins near your neck, such as the subclavian vein or jugular vein, and ends near the top of my heart."

      Delete
    2. Wow. That is crazy and amazing all at once! Nice that they didn't have to do a big stick each time, though I'm sure the port drove you nuts too. Medicine is amazing.

      Delete
  2. Gina, thank you for updating your blog! I have been wondering how you have been doing and have continued to pray for you. PRAISE THE LORD that you are DONE with chemo. You've walked through hell but have come out on the other side full of life and gratitude. You are, as always, an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy news! So glad you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment!