Wednesday, August 27, 2008

I'm a Cancer Survivor

Well today was the big appointment with the oncologist. Things are good. It was a GIST tumor that was 25 x 20 x 18 cm large. Yes the metric system rules (inch is a bad word in my science classroom people)!! It was enormous or according to the surgical report - an extremely large tumor. The doctor told me that if this had happened ten years ago I would be dead within a year!! WOW! BUT, there is a guy in Portland (Go Oregon!) who developed a drug that has been used for the past five years that shrinks existing tumors and prevents new ones from appearing. They are saying he is going to win a noble prize for his work. So basically, he is referring me to a local medical oncologist (YEAH - no more long drives to Portland). He said I will have to take this drug everyday, get regular CT scans, and be monitored by an oncologist for the rest of my LONG life. I am not totally out of the woods yet, my new doctor will most likely do a full body workup to make sure there is no cancer anywhere in my body. BUT - for now this is SUPER AWESOME NEWS! I just need to recover from what my doctor called "seriously major surgery".
The only bad news is they have no pictures of my tumor!!

4 comments:

  1. Yea!!! I have told the whole story many times since work yesterday and everyone was amazed and then waiting for this news. Also, about that Science classroom...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is absolutely fabulous news! What a weight to be lifted off your shoulders. How are you feeling these days?

    What medication are they putting you on?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously - that was the best news ever (if you have to have cancer). I was a little nervous about it - I am glad it is all working out! Get some rest!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is awesome!!! I'm so glad everything is looking good! And thank you Doctor's for not taking pics of the tumor...sounds a little nasty...which means you would have love it! ha ha.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment!