Sunday, January 22, 2012

"Chews" the Right

I am the new primary chorister for my ward.  To all my non-LDS friends that means I am the song leader for the 3 - 11 year old kids.  It is a blast!  I get to do some of my very favorite things - SING and ACT SILLY and MAKE CUTE STUFF and HAVE FUN WITH KIDS.  This year's theme for primary is "Choose the Right".  I wanted to make a way to pick my helpers that would be cute, fit the theme, and give every kid the same number of turns.  So I created these gumball machines from terra cotta pots, saucers, glass bowls, and some 1"wooden balls, paint,  and ribbon.  Search online and there are a TON of tutorials. 
Here is a good one:


The only thing I did differently is I glued a smaller saucer underneath the lid to make a lip so the lid stays on better.

After I made the gumball machine I painted 1" wooden balls with various colors.  Then I wrote each kid's name on a seperate "gumball".  I also made one for Junior primary and one for Senior.  I made sure to put several "visitor" gumballs in each one.
I used this is primary today and it went great.  I found it to be extra useful because I am trying to learn their names.  The kids wanted to keep their wooden gumball, but told them once everyone gets picked once we re-use the gumballs.  Then one of my extra hyper boys that doesn't ever seem to like singing time asked if I would give them their gumballs at the end of the year.  What a great idea....he was excited that I liked his idea- HOORAY.
Another trick to make sure they are reverant is to tell them if I pick their gumball and they are not being reverant and participating then I will put their gumball back.  Oh boy - were they quiet after that!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment!