Sunday, September 23, 2012

Cancer #2...Boo to Cancer!!!

I am not a private person.  I do not tell this story to be dramatic or make people feel sorry for me.  I tell it so everyone who cares about me can be informed.  Information is power!  So here is the story so far.......

Well, I went to my Ob-Gyn back in January for the yearly visit and he ordered my first mammogram.  I am in my 40's now so time to start getting mammograms.  I was not thrilled about it because I have heard women complain about how uncomfortable it is or painful.  So I kinda forgot about it for awhile.  Back in August I remembered I needed to go get one so I scheduled it.
On August 28th I had my first mammogram.  HELLO - why do women complain about it??  It was not a big deal at all......SERIOUSLY!!
A few days later I got called back for a 2nd mammogram.  They said this is pretty standard to be called back for a 2nd one - especially when it was your very first one ever.  They said not to worry - so I did not worry.  So they took some magnified scans of my right breast a week later on September 5th.
Then they called me 2 days later to schedule a biopsy.  They said there were "areas of concern".  But, again they said not to worry.  They said about 80% of the time the biopsies come back with no problems.  So I did not worry too much.

I showed up on September 12th for my biopsy.  I found out that they were going to do two biopsies - fun for me!!  Anyways, the biopsy itself wasn't painful at all, BUT I had to lay on this SUPER UNCOMFORTABLE table on my stomach with my boobs hanging through this hole for 1 1/2 hours.  Seriously, the biopsy didn't hurt, but I have scoliosis and arthritis in my hip & spine and it was so awful laying in the same position for that long.  The bed was hard and too short for my LONG body.  My head was hanging off the table too so by the time it was over my neck was dying.  I am pretty sure a MAN invented this table.  No woman would have designed such an uncomfortable thing.
Of course my luck I was a bleeder (not the normal) and I developed a hematoma.  By the time I got home my right breast was super swollen and all bruised up.  Normally after a breast biopsy you recover really quickly.  They told me unfortunately that I was going to be hurting for awhile.  It definitely wasn't the worst pain I have experienced, but it was super annoying and sore.  Then, it got even better!!  I developed a nasty rash over the incision sites.  It was TERRIBLE.  Oh man....no fun.
The biopsy was on a Wednesday and they told me that I would maybe have the results on Friday, but for sure by Monday/Tuesday.

On Friday I missed a call from my doctor.  She left a message saying to hurry and call her back because she was leaving early that day and wouldn't be able to talk to me until Monday.  So I called back and of course I had missed her.  But, she left this cryptic message for me to dwell on all weekend. "She wanted you to know you were being referred for surgery and she will call you back first thing on Monday."  AAAAARRGGHHH!!!  Are you serious?  It would have been better to just wait until Monday to talk to me.  I was not impressed with this poor communication by my doctor.  So I worried a little all weekend.  On Monday, September 17th  I finally talked with my doctor while I was in the middle of a grocery store.  She told me the biopsy came back as cancer and I was being referred to a breast surgeon.  That is all she had for me.  I at least had the sense to ask her what type of cancer and she said DCIS (Ductal Carcinoma In Situ).  I walked around Winco in a daze and finished my grocery shopping.  I held it together...I was proud of myself.  I went home and I did some research.  It didn't seem too bad.  They had caught it early.

I immediately was scheduled to meet with the breast surgeon 2 days later on September 19th (my daughters birthday) to get the whole picture.
Corey and I met with the breast surgeon for about an hour, then the breast care coordinator for another hour, then to the lab for some bloodwork  Here are some of the details:
- DCIS is when the cancer is still contained in the milk ducts - this is good news.
- They showed me the scans and showed me ALL the areas I had DCIS.....they were ALL over my right breast.  It was pretty overwhelming to see all the areas.  It seemed as if the cancer was in every single milk duct.
- The biopsy showed that I had a micro-invasion.  This meant that in the area of the biopsy the cancer cells were starting to leave the milk ducts.
- Basically, because it is all over they are recommending a mastectomy with a sentinel lymph node biopsy.  They said if they did a lumpectomy I would have a grossly misshapen breast and they most likely would not be able to get all the cancer out.  They need the lymph node biopsy to make sure the cancer has not spread past my breast.
- I have a tentative surgery date of October 18th.  I was happy he was going to be out of town until the 17th because we are taking a trip to Disneyland and Newport Beach and we get back the 17th.  I was really worried he would make me cancel my trip.  He told me that even if he was in town he would have made me go on the trip.  He said that was a perfect thing to do since the next year of my life was going to be a long, hard journey.
- I will need a MRI to rule out cancer in the left breast and for surgical planning.  The MRI will happen sometime this next week.
- They do NOT know what my treatment plan will be until after the surgery.  They will use the pathology report from the surgery to decide this.  There are so many types of breast cancer and each one has a different protocol.  They did say they think chemotherapy is very likely in my case.
- As long as the cancer has not spread to the lymph nodes I have a 99% survival rate.
- They told me I am poster child of why you should start getting mammograms at age 40.  The people that say you should wait until you are 50 are MORONS.  So ladies....GET YOUR MAMMOGRAMS.  Think of what would have happened to me if I had waited any longer!!!!

I have been so busy this past week with my daughter's 8th birthday and baptism that I have not really had time to think about this or really process it.   It does not seem real.  I have not freaked out or cried too much yet.  The thing I have cried about the most is the fact I will not be able to lead my primary kids in the primary program next month (sorry non-LDS friends if this doesn't make sense - I have been teaching the kids ages 3-11 at my church 10 songs all year and they will perform them in front of our whole congregation in October).  I will not even be able to see it because it is 10 days after my surgery.  I put my heart and soul into teaching those songs all year and I am extremely sad I will not see it through.  How silly that I am more sad about that than having cancer again & getting one of my boobs cut off.  I am ridiculous :)

Before this blog post I had only informed immediate family members of this news.  I am now ready for it to be public.  I will fight this stupid cancer and win again.  I will need as many prayers, good vibes, happy thoughts, and support that I can get.  So please send it my way.  I am blessed that I have such a loving family that is willing to drop everything and come help me.  I am REALLY bad about asking for help, but I know I will need it. 
I will try to keep people updated through Facebook and my blog so check back.....

13 comments:

  1. ((Gina)) So sorry you have to go through this again. I know you will have many many friends praying for you. We miss you and your fabulous family lots! This must be why your mom came out to stay with you for a little while? I'm glad she is there to help out and just to be there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dearest Gina, we are so sorry to hear the news. We spoke with Aunt Hazel yesterday afternoon and she told us of your diagnosis. Please know you will always be in our prayers. We both know all too well the blessings of the Priesthood, and the many wonderful prayers said on our behalf can perform great miracles! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mrs. Aldridge, you are like my favorite teacher ever! You already battled cancer before, you're a strong, fabulous woman and this will just be another bump on the road. A few days ago my aunt got diagnosed with cancer ( they are still not sure what type of cancer it is ). I Have another aunt who currently has cancer. My grandma also had cancer and battled through it until she was cancer free. Dang, stupid cancer runs in my family >:/ Be strong Mrs. Aldridge! It's okay to loose a boob or two, you can get a brand new pair ;)Love you! You are in my thoughts and prayers♥ You can do this!! (again).

    One of your favorite ex students,
    -Kenya aka one of the giggle twins:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know we love ya! You are an eternal optimist and a great example! Thanks for sharing all the news so openly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Came across this on Facebook as a friend of Jessica Sahim. My Mother had a mastectomy in 1995 with a lymphectomy and continued to live a very fulfilling life-raising me a then three-year-old and meeting her grandchildren (my sister's children). Her journey in cancer continued, but for many when it is caught early it can make a tremendous difference. My best to you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gina, I am so sorry to hear your news. It has only been 2 and a half years since I went thru the same thing. It was in October when I had my surgery to. So this brings back all my memories of my cancer. I will keep you in my prayers as you did for me when I was going thru my treatment. I am here for you if you have any questions or need to talk to someone who has been thru it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mrs Aldrige you are amazing you are a fighter and you will beat this once again your an amazing teacher and you have many other student you have to teach many new futures to form my prayers go out to you<3

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry to read this news! You will be in my prayers! You've beaten it before and you can do it again. You are a fighter! I will be setting up my mammogram appt. tomorrow since I've been putting it off for a few months!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Whoa. Gina, this is Gaye from Mesa. I know - a blast from the past. My cohort and teacher on the next classroom was just diagnosed with this - Aggressive Ductal Carcinoma 2 weeks ago. She had her mastectomy days later and now we begin the next journey. Along this path we have learned about a cool site calle Caringbridge.org. It is a non-profit site where people can check on you, make comments and keep updated on all of your progress in a manner that helps us all. It is incredible and as a staff at school we can check on our friend throughout the day. The is also a program called Takethemameal.org that we are using to coordinate meals to their family - it's like the relief society in a techno-world...on steroids. Let me know if I can share any more info with you. I was just visiting my buddy yesterday. We're still working on her report cards together but she is one tough cookie. Just like you. Just think of it - you can be a "one-boob wonder" with your great smile! Also, don't forget to contact Debbie Richardson. She just celebrated her 5th year birthday of free and clear after breast cancer. She will have courage to share.

    Just remember cancer does not define you. You are terrific from top to bottom and this is something new to conquer.

    The first part of cancer is CAN...
    Love and prayers to you!
    Gaye Vaterlaus

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gina,
    Thank you for the lovely event yesterday at the Baptism and dinner. You were your usual you - the Fabulous Hostess, with everything beautiful elaborate, and organized, and you were the picture of calm and control. You have been in our prayers twice a day for the last couple of weeks, and your name has been on the Portland Temple prayer roll. We are leaving tomorrow, and we will add your name to the prayer rolls of 4 more Temples in our travels, and we will continue, and intensify, our prayers for you. We are amazed and gratified that you continue to be a wonderful role model to everyone around you, even in your trials. You will overcome this, and be a beacon of light to many others who are struggling as you do so. Thank you for sharing so others may be encouraged.
    Love & Blessings,
    Dad & Virginia

    ReplyDelete
  11. Boo to cancer!! Yeah to you!!! I've had a rough morning involving the DMV (use your imagination) and the handle totally snapping off my stroller on the way to said DMV....but maybe things aren't so bad. I love you and I miss you and think you're pretty dang amazing. I love that you're more upset about the primary program; it's not ridiculous at all. : ) Just think of it like working on girls camp all year and then missing it. (ha ha) What I want to know is what would have happened if you had had your mammogram back in January or February? Can they guess when it started? Would that have been too early? Was it lucky you procrastinated, or would earlier still have been better? I'm glad you went and that you're spreading the "stop whining about mammograms" word. My mom's been saying that for years. I'll be praying for you and the family.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gina, it breaks my heart that you have to suffer through such a difficult trial but you are so strong and amazing and I know you can and will beat this! We love you so much and we will pray for you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gina I know you don't know our family well but please know we will do anything we can to help you and your family. You and your family will be in our prayers. You have an amazing family. I am super happy you are going on your trip. I am sure those primary children will do you proud! You are the funnest music director! You make it fun and they will do a great job!

      Delete

Please leave a comment!